home documents images maps surveys articles books meetingplace
Notes on Cumberland County Place Names by Lots of People

This is a work in progress. The orginal base of this is a collection of Cumberland County place names that were compiled by an unknown author about the year 1915. Internal evidence leads us to conclude that he was likely a lawyer. Also, he made at least one trip to the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to work with the Clement Collection and at least one trip to Trenton to do research. There is evidence that he may have been the owner of a then hot off the presses copy of Volume 21 of the NJ Archives Series. While it does not appear that the collecting of place names was his primary goal in doing history, he has nevertheless laid a good foundationion for those who came after. Unless the note at the end refrencing Ralph W. Emerson is a joke, some additions were made to the list in 1959. Mark Demitroff made copies of the list and passed it on to Paul Schopp and Renee Brecht. Renee OCR'd and published the list in its original form to her web site. We looked at that list and decided it could use some more work. In this initial build we have added material from Gordon's Gazetteer, maps and other sources. So, we're working on it but we aren't nearly done yet. If you want to contribute a place name or an article,  please let us know.


compiled circa 1915
Additions made in 1959 and 2007(Original author unknown)(See "Sayre 's Mill" and other entries for rererences to 1915)


Antioch - See Greenwich

Ayres Creek: (or Hughes creek)
A small tributary of Cohansey Creek. See Mtg Peter Reeve to Burr & Hoskins, Trustees 1791. Bk C P 126.


Back Creek
The first little stream below Cohansey Creek on the Delaware River. [Place Names of Salem County, Jaquet and VanName, 1964, Salem County Historical Society] Gordon notes that the stream is in Fairton Twp. and that it ".flows about 6 miles into Nautuxet Cove, Delaware bay."

Back Neck
Thomas Gordon's Gazetteer describes this as "a strip of land of Fairfield t-ship, Cumberland Co., comprehended by the bend of Cohansey creek and Cohansey cove."

Back Water
Gordon's Gazetteer describes this as a "branch of Maurice river, Millville t-ship, Cumberland Co., has a westerly course to its recipient, of about ? miles."

Bacon's Adventure
The original plantation of Samuel Bacon, near Greenwich. "1682, Nov. 22 - Deed. John Adams, of Hedgefield, N. J., planter, and wife Elizabeth to Samuel Bacon, of Woodbridge, East Jersey, seaman, for 260 acres, part of Jacob Young's Neck, hereafter to be called Bacon's Adventure, on Chohanzey River." (NJA-21:573). "1683, June 25. An Indian deed from Shaukamun and Et hoe, to Samuel Bacon, Sr., of Woodbridge, East Jersey, yeoman, for 400 acres between a fast landing on Chohanzey Creek, called Jacob Young's Neck, and hereafter Adventure, George Haslewood and the Island Creek." (NJA-2l:575) [this entry pulled from Place Names of Salem County, Jaquet and VanName, 1964, Salem County Historical Society]

Bacon's Neck
A tract of fast land between Cohansey and Stowe Creeks near Greenwich that was originally known as Jacob YoungÕs Neck. The area was settled in 1682 by Samuel Bacon and his descendants lived there for many years afterwards.

A locality in the woods in the northerly part of Commercial Twp.

Bay Side (Caviar):
The terminus of the Central R.R. of NJ on the Delaware just below the mouth of Back Creek. Probably at or near Dunk's Beach. A late 20th century newspaper article described the place as "a former resort and fishing area located east of Greenwich on the Delaware Bay, was once a source of caviar (the roe or eggs of a fish called the Atlantic sturgeon, weighing as much as 400 pounds). The Central Railroad of New Jersey transported the processed seafood from Bayside to Jersey City for market. The area is now a natural preserve, owned by Public Service Electric & Gas, and overseen by the Nature Conservancy. "( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Bear Branch:
A branch of Menantico Creek entering the creek at Souder's Mill. 1792 - Book 13 of deeds.

Bear Head Branch:
A stream in Maurice River Twp.

Bear Swamp
Gordon calls this "a noted swamp of Downe t-ship, Cumberland Co., near Nantuxet or Newport, through which Bows the Oroanken creek. The timber upon it is chiefly oak and poplar."

Bellevue: Fairfield Twp.
At the top of the hill on the road from Bridgeton to Fairton, opposite to where the Country Club now is. George Donaghey calls the place by his name and sold some building lots.

Ben Davis Point:
The point of salt marsh projecting into the Delaware Bay just above the mouth of Back creek, Fairfield Twp, the extreme point of Pierpoint Neck and the West Cape of Nantuxet Cove.

Bivalve and Shellpile
These communities grew up on the Delaware Bay around Port Norris as shucking houses were established in the late 19th and early 20th centuries to accommodate the thriving oyster industry.

Blue Bird Tavern: See Taverns.

Blue Jim's Gut:
The stream that flows from Pamphylia Spring.

Bricks borough (Bricksboro)
Gordon refers to this as a "village, of Maurice t.ship, Cumberland Co., upon the left bank of Maurice river, 12 miles from its mouth, within 2 of Port Elizabeth, and 14 of Bridgeton, contains from 12 to 15 dwellings. It lies at the confluence of Muskee run with the river."

Located at the head of navigation of the Cohansey Creek, this old town is the county seat of Cumberland County and home to the largest historic district in New Jersey. Early names for this place include, "the BridgeÓ (Faden, Map of the Province of New Jersey, 1778), Cohansey Bridge in 1748. (Elmer p 23). It was first called Bridgetown in 1765. (Elmer p 28..) In 1832 Thomas Gordon described it as: "p-t. and seat of justice of Cumberland cc-, upon the Cohansey creek, 20 miles from its mouth, 175 N. E. from W. Ct, and sixty S. of Trenton. The town is built on both sides of the creek, over which is a wooden drawbridge, from whence it has its name. It formerly bore that of Cohansey. It contains a court. house of brick, in the centre of a street, upon the W. bank of the creek, a prison of stone, and public offices, e a Presbyterian, a Baptist, and a Methodist church; a bank with an authorized capital of $200,000, of which $50,000 have been paid in a public library, a Masonic lodge, an academy, a woollen manufactory, a grist 'mill, an extensive rolling mill, foundery, and nail factory. It exports lumber, flour, grain, nails, and iron castings. Thirty schooners and sloops, of from 50 to 80 tons burthen, mil from the port, which is one of entry and delivery. The collection district of Bridgeton comprehends the counties of Gloucester, Salem, Cumberland, and Cape May; excepting such parts of Gloucester and Cape May, as are included in the district of Egg Harbour. The collector resides at Bridgeton.-250 licenses issued from his office in the year 1832. The country around is a sandy loam, rich and productive in wheat, corn, and rye. The most remarkable object, here, is the iron works of Messrs. Reeves and Whitaker, which occupy a number of stone buildings on the W. side of the creek, above the bridge, and are driven by a water power of 15 feet head and fall. They were originally built in 1815, but were consumed by fire in 1822, and rebuilt and enlarged in the same year. The rolling mill is capable of manufacturing into hoop and round iron, from blooms, 25,000 tons per annum. The nail factory contains 29 nail machines, competent to make 1500 tons of nails annually; and the foundery will make 250 tons of castings, from a cupola furnace, with anthracite coal. These works give employment to 125 Men and boys, who receive their wages, monthly, in cash, to the amount of $30,000 per annum; and yield the means of support to nearly 500 persons. Two vessels are constantly employed in bringing coal to the works from Richmond, and one in the intercourse with the city of Philadelphia. There are some very good houses in the town, which has quite an air of business."

One of several planned communities created in the late 19th century for Eastern European Jewish immigrants. (see also Norma, Rosenhaym and Carmel)
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Broad Oyster Creek
This Downe Township creek flows from Oranoken Creek, through the salt marsh, into the Delaware Bay.

Buck's Folly:
A small pond in Green Swamp, Fairfield Twp on a lot of woodland and swamp owned by Smith Dare. So called from an attempt made to drain the pond by one Buck, a former owner.

This community was called by that name in 1789 and the area has retained that designation ever since, although it has also been known as Cormack's Mill and Iszard's Mill. Grist and saw mills operated there.

Buena Vista:
The wharves along the Cohansey Creek below Greenwich where the oyster business is now conducted.

Burgin Branch:
A branch of Stow Creek - 1800 deed Burgin to Ayers Book 2, pg 73.



Cabin Branch On Cumberland Tract:
Probably a tributary of Tuckahoe River. Deed Sharp to Wood 1870 Bk 125 p 31.

Cabin Island:
In the salt marsh near Back Neck near the head of the west fork of Nathaniels creek.

Cabin Pond:
This body of water is located in Fairfield Twp at the head of the northerly branch of Towns Swamp just north of the Buckshutem or Bridgeton Road where it crosses the stream at 'Arm Bridge". Mr Elmer calls it "Goose Neck Pond" but I find he is mistaken.

Caesaria Manor:
Attempted to be created by will of John Fenwick but never existed. Sheppard p 511.

Caesaria River:
A name given to the Cohansey Creek by John Fenwick(Sheppard p 511.) Also, his will statesÓ "I give and bequeath to my three grandchildren and heires, Ffenwick Adams, Samuell Hedge, the_younger, and John Channeys all that tract of land Lying Upon the River heretofore called Chohansick which I will have hereafter_called Cesaria River". [the 2nd half of this entry pulled from Place Names of Salem County, Jaquet and VanName, 1964, Salem County Historical Society]

Carey's or Newcomb's Mill or Pond:
The lower pond on Cedar Creek, Lawrence Twp in the village of Cedarville. Deed Daniel Elmer, Esther ux, to Elijah Thompson, Jan 10, 1792. Not recorded in Elmer papers. See Cedarville Mills.

Cannon Range Avenue:
This is a road on the Cumberland Tract. About 1895 Edward R. Wood ran out a line from a point on the road from Cumberland to Hunter's Mill to the north line of the tract and cleared out a portion of the line with the idea that it would be sold to the National government for use as a testing ground for heavy ordnance. It was inspected by the government officials on a hot summer day and the mosquitoes drove the party away before the inspection was concluded. It was never used for the purpose intended and in Mr Wood's scheme of development became known as Cannon Range Avenue. There are now (1916) a few small farms in process of growth along it.

Cape Bogue:
The south point of Jacob's Creek. Division of lands of Davis Sheppard deed 1844.

Cappier's Creek:
Branch of Dividing Creek 1762. Deed Nicholas Crusen to Wm Dallas 1762. Bk 1 P 17.

Captain John Branch:
A branch of Parvins Branch, Cohansey - Deerfield Twp 1770 Book 1 of Mtgs.

Carey's (Newcomb's) Mill or Pond.
The lower pond on Cedar Creek, Lawrence Twp, in the village of Cedarville. Deed Daniel Elmer, Esther ux, to Elijah Thompson, Jan 10, 1792. Not recorded in Elmer papers. See Cedarville Mills.

Gordon's Gazetteer describes this place as a "hamlet of Deerfield t-ship, Cumberland Co., between 3 and 4 miles N. E. of Bridgeton.' May be the same as Carlltown/Columbia Corner

See Columbia Corner.

Carmack's Mill:
See Daniel England's Saw Mill.

Formerly known as Beaver Dam,   it was a stage stop along the road between Millville and Bridgeton.   In the late 19 th century it was the site of a planned community for jewish immigrants from easterm Europe.
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Carnell's Run:
A Branch of the Cohansey Creek on its easterly side between Stone Bridge Run and Lopers Run and entering the Cohansey at the head of Tumbling Dam Pond. Just across the turnpike in Deerfield it opens over in the "Silly Pond".

Carot's Branch:
Maurice River. There is mention of both big and little Carots Branch of little Carot's Neck in part of sale of property of Wesley Budd in the Washington Whig March 6, 1820.

Carrell's Ferry:
In the meadow along the Maurice River and above Mauricetown and opposite Bricksboro. (See mtg David Compton aux to John Russell 1870 Bk X p 32)

Carson's Grist Mill:
On Clear Run, a tributary of Maurice River in 1795. See Road Book A, p122.

Cartells Delight:
Name given to a survey of 200 acres on the Bay shore between Cedar Creek and Pauxtent Creek made April 28, 1694 to John Loatman. Revel Surveys p 112.

A tract of land in what is now known as Bacon's Neck, Greenwich Twp. Conveyed to John Nichols by two Indians in 1683. See copy of the deed: Sheppard p 511

Cat Swamp:
Greenwich Twp. The swamp on Pine Mount Run, above its forks.

Cedar Branch:
On the easterly side of Manumuskin Creek on Cumberland Tract. Deed Sharp vs Wood 1870. Bk 125 p 31.

Cedar Creek
Thomas Gordon writes that this watercourse in Fairfield Twp. "rises in the t-ship, and flows westerly through it for about 10 miles, giving motion to several mills, and emptying into Nantuxet cove, Delaware bay. It is navigable about 4 miles to Cedarville."

Cedar Grove Mills:
On the Cohansey in Deerfield Twp. There is a grist mill and a small village. The place was until recently a post office under the name of Seeley. It was known as Fithian's Mills in 1748 (misc records p 2) and as James Goulden's (the same name now corrupted to Golden) in 1752 (p 8). It has also been known as Null's Mill. The pond which furnishes water power to the Grist Mill is on the main stream of the Cohansey. There was also a saw mill operated by water power from a pond on Indian Town branch of Cohansey. The saw mill pond is known as Hand's Pond. The saw mill was abandoned long since, and the grist mill ceased to be operated in 1813. It was then owned by a corporation and managed by G. Wilbert Moore and James Hannan.

Cedar Point:
Lawrence Twp - Modern name for Loggerhead Point.

Gordon describes this town as a "p-t. of Fairfield t-ship, Cumberland Co., pleasantly situated, on Cedar creek, at the head of navigation, about 4 miles from the mouth of the creek, 7 S. from Bridgeton, 183, by post mute, N. E. from W. C., and 77 S. from Trenton; contains about 60 dwellings, a store, and tavern, grist and saw mill, and an extensive button tuaoiifactory. The country about it is sandy and poor: but the lots in the village are carefully cultivated and productive. Trade, wood and lumber. Inhabitants, 375." Cedarville received its name in 1806, but it had been settled long before that when saw and grist mills were built along the Cedar Creek. Some of Fairfield Township's leading citizens lived there after the Revolution, and the town's inhabitants were largely engaged in agriculture and oystering.
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Centre Grove:
A neighborhood in the extreme easterly part of Lawrence Twp on the road from Cedarville to Millville. It is said to have grown up around an early schoolhouse.

Champion's Mill:
In Maurice River Twp on Tarkiln Branch Tuckahoe River in 1810. See Deed Book 16, p 292.

Chance's Island:
A piece of upland in the meadow on the road leading from Leesburg to Heislerville, Maurice River Twp and in the Hickory Swamp Meadow Co in 1880. See Road Book G, pg 106.

Chance's Landing:
On the easterly side of Maurice river 1827. Road Book B, p 215.Chance's Mill: see Gandy's Mill.

Chestnut Branch:
A stream in Deerfield Twp 1774. Bk 1 Mtgs p 87.

Chestnut Run:
Stow Creek Twp a stream running into Maccinipuck from the west, the farm of Seeleys Mill being just below their junction. The stream from the farm to Stow Creek is known as Newport Creek.

Chickosee Park:
Formerly a wooded area along the Cohansey Creek between the Central Railroad Trestle and North St.

Clark's Branch of Cohansey:
A small stream running into Sneathens Mill pond on the Cohansey from the east.

Clear Run:
Maurice River Twp a branch of the Muskee Creek on its southerly side, and below Jones Mill.

Cobb's Landing:
Landis Twp on easterly side of Maurice River below Manaway Branch and Blackwater.

Coffin Point:
On the west side of Cohansey in Bridgeton and opposite foot of North St and in Tumbling Dam Park. Elmer p 6. Traditionally an Indian burial place.

The whole region from the source of Cohansey creek near Friesburg to it's mouth at the Delaware Bay was commonly called up to and even after the Revolution. It was common to write Fairfield in Cohansey or Greewich in Cohansey. (Elmer p 28) The name has recently been applied to the crossroads on the "Commissioner's Road" in the extreme northwesterly part of the Hopewell Twp, just south of Friesburg church, where there was a Post Office called Cohansey until the RFD route covered the vicinity.

Cohansey Bridge:
Early name for Bridgeton and name by which it was selected as the county seat in 1748. Elmer p 23. First called Bridgetown in 1765. Elmer p 28.

Cohansey Corner:
Early name for Shiloh - Which see.

Cohansey Creek:
The Indian names seem to have Conanhockink and Sepahacking. Fenwick s name for it was Caesaria River. (Sheppard pg 510-11) There is a tradition that Cohansick was an Indian chief living on the banks of the stream. It seems to be tradition only.

Cohansey Road:
On the map of the return to a survey made July 19, 1774 to Constant Somers for 756 acres (489 of which were covered by former surveys) and lying between South River and Great (now Deep) Run, branches of Egg Harbor river is marked a road running in a generally easterly direction and called "the Cohansey Road". By another very old map of this survey in my possession this road is shown as being now Buena, and crossing that road about a mile south of Buena. Apparently it was the old road from Egg Harbor to Cohansey and to the Burlington Road. I can find no trace of it 1n this county. One can only conjecture that this ancient highway somewhere met the old Cape Road and followed that to the Burlington Road, probably by way of Hance's Bridge or possibly by Souder's Mill, or it may have crossed the Maurice River at Maull's Bridge and reached the Burlington Road by the old road that ran from that bridge towards the southeast through the present Rosenhayn neighborhood.

On a map of Mason's Winchcombe Manor survey made about 1770 a road crossing the northwest corner of that tract and apparently running north and south, is marked "Road Cohocking" to Greenwich.

Columbia Corner:
On the Commissioners Road, being the line and Stow Creek Twp where it is intersected by the road from Jericho to Seeley. The crossroad next above is now called Bowen s Corner. From but about the time of the Revolution. the vicinity was known as Carlltown.

Conner's Spring:
Near the Manumuskin in Maurice River Twp. Deed Furness to Neide 1796. B 1 P 32.

Cool [Coal?] Landing:
A landing in Buckshutem creek near it's mouth in 1802. Book A, p 166.

Cool Spring:
A spring in Petticoat Branch on Maurice River. See map in Red Book B p 153 - 1818.Cooper's Mill:
On Panthers branch of Menantico creek in Landis Twp. Also called Hollinghead Mill. Mentioned in award in Landis vs Wood among Clement papers in PA Historical Society.

Couder's Landing:
A locality on the east side of Maurice River and mentioned as near the beg1nning corner of Scotts Survery of 10,000 A (Lib A1 p 262 Trenton). Quite poss1bly at the mouth of what is now called Crowder Run.

Cowder Gut:
In Maurice River 1777 Mtg of Wm Conner near Dorchester. Bk 1 of Mtgs p 141.

Cox's Corner:
Hopewell Twp where the straight road from Bridgeton to Roadstown is crossed running northerly through Bowentown. called earlier Bowen's Corner, from David Madison Bowen, an early resident, who lived at the northwest corner. The field at the northeast corner was a place of meeting for the militia on training days.

Cranberry Gut:
In Downe (now Commercial) Twp 1800 deed, Brick to Bearsley Book p 91.

Cubbys Hollow:
Island Branch Creek. A small pond west of Fayette St. on a stream south of Bridgeton.

A town plot to be called by this name was early laid out in what is now Bridgeton on the east side of Cohansey and south of Commerce St. It probably only existed on paper. See mortgage by Thomas Thompson 1766 Bk 1 of Mtgs p 9 covering 109 acres.

A name for the vicinity also known as Cumberland Furnace or Manumuskin Manor.

Cumberland Causeway -
The causeway over Stow Creek to Lower Alloway Creek Twp in Salem County below Canton on Buckhorn road.

Cumberland Furnace:
Gordon's Gazetteer of 1832 describes this place as being "on Mannmuskin creek, Maurice river t-ship, about 5 miles above Port Elizabeth, and 17 east of Bridgeton.Ó The Cumberland County Historical Register notes that this furnace was "built by Eli Budd about 1785 on a 22,000-acre tract of land. In 1810,Wesley Budd & Co. established the forge and blast furnace. The company failed and was then operated by Edward Smith until 1840, after which it was operated by Jacob Sharp. The location was later known as Manumuskin Manor and then Cumberland Furnace. When the local bog ore became exhausted, magnetite deposits were brought in by wateer from mines along the Hudson River and low grade ore was brought in from Delaware. These cargos were unloaded at Schooner Landing on the Menantico and carried by teams to the furnace. The furnace consisted of a brick cupola lined with fire brick. Forced air was generated by water power secured from the pond via a raceway. At the foot of the furnace was the casting floor where the melt was molded.Ó After passing through a series of owners, Cumberland Furnace became the property of Edward Smith. He made improvements to the furnace and it operated until 1840 when, having exhausted the supply of charcol from the 22000 acres of surrounding woodland, the furnace was shut down. Currently(2007), the site is held by a mix of owners. One large portion is owned by a utility company, contains the site of the village, and is is apparently slated for development.

Cumberland Works (see Marshallville)

Cypress Run:
In Hopewell Twp 1774. Bk 1 of Mtgs p 85.



Dallas Ferry:
Across Maurice River from the farmland at the end of Main St in Port Norris. Probably first established by William Dallas who bought land from Nicholas Creeden in 1762. Deed Book 1, p 17.

Danby Field:
An old farm on the north side of Maple Branch of Town swamp, Fairfield Twp south of Fairton and Millville Road. Said to have been originally the home of Jonathan Elmer, one of the first of that name.

Daniel England's Saw Mill:
Judge Elmer places this at Buckshutem and says that it was afterwards called Carmack's Mill. P. 73

Dark Pond:
On Manaway Branch of Maurice River where it is crossed by the road from Willow Grove to Weymouth.

Davis Ferry:
On the Maurice River. See R's Book, p 72.

Dayton's Bridge:
Name for what is now Centerville or Centerton just over the line in Salem County. 1802 Deed Book 5, p 234. The name is also spelled Dalton.

Deerfield Street:
Name first found in 1768. Book 1 of Mtgs p 21. GordonÕs Gazetteer describes the place in 1832 as being a "post town of, Deerfield t-ship, Cumberland Co., 7miles N. of Bridgeton; 1(15 miles N.B. of Washington city, and 68 5. from Trenton; contains from 20 to 25 dwellings, occupied chiefly by agriculturists, I tavern, I store, and a Presbyterian church. A 20th century account says that the village "was first settled in the 1720s by residents of Fairfield Township. Area residents referred to the community as Deerfield Street. In the 1730s, Old Parsonage Road was the only street in the township."
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Defiance Mill:
Appears to have been on Canute Branch of Manumuskin Creek in Maurice River. See description of land of Wesley Budd (Cumberland Tract) advertised for sale in Washington Whig, Mar. 6, 1820.

Delmont: see Ewings Neck.
This community is located in the southeast corner of the county. It was once known as Ewing's Neck.

Denns Landing:
On Stow Creek 1786. Road Book w, p 66. Probably what is now known as Stow Creek Landing.

Dickinson's Corner:
Stow Creek Twp where West Ave leading from Shiloh intersects the road from Roadstown to Marlboro Seventh Day Church via seventh Day Mill, called such from the Dickinson family, who lived on the north east corner in 1860.

Dividing Creek
Gordon describes this stream as being located in "Downe t-ship, Cumberland Co., rises centrally in the t-ship, and flows southerly by a very crooked course of 10 or 12 miles, into Maurice creek cove, in Delaware bay. It is navigable to the village of Dividing Creek."

Dividing Creek
Gordon's Gazetteer says of this place that it is the "p.t. of Downe t-ship, Cumberland Co., about 17 miles S. of Bridgeton, 86 from Trenton, and 192 N. E. from W. C.; contains from 25 to 30 dwellings, a store, tavern, and grist mill." This place was named for the creek on which it is located, which has numerous branches. It was settled by Baptists who had established a meeting house there by 1755. Located in Downe Township, which was a Tory stronghold during the American Revolution, it showed its sentiments during the Civil War by opening Union Street.
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Dixon's Branch:    
On the Cumberland Tract and probably a branch of Tuckahoe River. 1870 deed Shep Wood, Book 125, p 31.

Dixon's Island:
There are two, Upper and Lower, so called in the salt marsh in Back Neck.

This old town appears on maps as early as 1705(Worlidge/Thornton, A New Map of East and West Jersey). Despite this, the current village was apparently not laid out until 1800(Elmer p. ).Gordon's Gazetteer describes it as a "village, of Maurice river t-ship, Cumberland Co., on the left bank of the river, about 10 miles from the Delaware bay, and 20 S. W. from Bridgeton; contains between 30 and 40 dwellings, 1 tavern, and 2 stores. The soil about it is sandy."

Double Door Field:
In Fairfield Twp and about half a mile to the northwest of Lummis Mill (the Grist Mill). This tract containing 8 9/10 acres was conveyed by Joab Sheppard et ux to Joseph C Morrison by deed dated Sept 4, 1863. Book C.I.J. p 513.

Down Bed Bridge:
In Landis Twp and on the Malaga Road where it crosses Parvins Branch of Maurice River. 1803 deed John Hoskins Jr & ux to Obadiah Downer. Book F, p 269.

The present name of the locality in Downe Twp between Dividing Creek and the Commerical Twp line and above the bridge. Probably takes its name from the family of Jester Dragston who appears to have been in that neighborhood in or before 1818. Washington Whig Aug 17, 1818. An old name for the locality was Ragtown.

Dumpling Hill:
Fairfield Twp. The line on the road from Fairton to Cedarville about a mile south of Fairfield.

Dunn's Beach:
On the Delaware below the mouth of Stowe Creek at or near Bay Side.



East Point:
The point on the east side at the mouth of Maurice River, at the end of Maurice River Neck. There was a light-house here until recently. The place was formerly somewhat of a resort, and a tavern was kept there
[written around 1915]. A late 20th century account says that it was "once a bayshore resort, is now best known for the East Point Lighthouse, the only onshore lighthouse operating in Cumberland County. Built in 1849, the lighthouse marks the entrance to the Maurice River."( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98) East Point lighthouse was built in 1849.

Eden Fields:
A name used on the map of Winchombs Manor for a locality lying between Adam's Branch and Eve's Branch. Now between Beebe Run and Upper Clearing or West Branch.

Egg Island:
Located In Downe Township on the bay. It has now[1915] entirely disappeared and is also covered by water. In 1785 it contained 60 acres and is described as being "about 8 miles above Maurice River and 8 chains from the shore: Deed Parvin to Tower 1785 Book 1 p. 42
Gordon, writing in 1832, describes it as being on "Delaware bay, off the western point of Maurice Cove, of a triangular form, extending about half a mile upon each side.Ó Egg Island still existed in 1872 and appears in Beers Atlas.

Egg Island, false (False Egg Island)
Gordon says "a point of Dow ne t-ship, about 4 miles higher tip the bay, than the foregoing, and which, from similarity of configuration, is often mistaken mr it."

Elder Gut:
In Fairfield Township (now Downe Twp) from Ware Creek into Elder Gut on Ogdens Creek into Dividing Creek.

Eldridge's Ferry:
Jesse Eldridge seemed to have had a ferry over Maurice River ln 1811. Rond Book B.p.89

Elwell's Mill:
Stow creek Twp. A saw mill on Bishop's Run, a branch of Stow creek.

Errickson's Mill:
On Riggins Ditch in Maurice River Twp. where it is crossed by the road from Leesburg to Delmont. It was there in 1795. Road Book A. p. 128. Dr. Stacy Wilson tells me that there has been no sign of any mill there in his day. The property is now part of the Prison Farm.

Ewing's Neck:
A point of fast land extending into the salt marsh in Maurice between Riggins Ditch and West Creek. The village and post office on the road from Heislerville to West Creek formerly known as Ewing's Neck is now called Delmont



Facemire's Corner:
Early name for Carll's Corner.

Thomas Gordon describes this place as a "p-t. of Fairfield t-ship, Cumberland Co., in the fork formed by Mill creek and Rattle Snake run, which unite and flow into Cohansey creek; distant about 4 miles S. of Bridgeton, 179 N. E. from W. C., and 73 S. from Trenton; contains from 30 to 40 dwellings, 2 stores, a Methodist church, and about 200 inhabitants. There is also a Presbvtenan church near the town. Marl has been lately discovered here on the estate of Michael Swing, the use of which adds much to the fertility of the lands." It is claimed tha tthe place "was once known as Bumbridge, a name said to derive from a constable (or "bum-bailiff," a corruption of "bound-bailiff") falling through a wooden bridge over Rattlesnake Run while trying to make an arrest. It is the site of an early settlement known as New England Town. In 1695, a Presbyterian Church was located there and its worshippers were people who had migrated from New England."
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98) The congregation and a meeting house that dates to the 1780s persist to the present day(2007).

Fancy Hill:
Mentioned in Washington Whig of Feb 24, 1817. The reservoir now stands on East Commerce St in Bridgeton.

Feaster Field:
There are three Feaster Fields in Maurice River Twp on the Old Cape Road. They are known as the Big Feaster Field, the Little or Henry Feaster Field, and the Benjamin Feaster Field. They represent old farms, long since abandoned and the buildings fallen from decay or burned.

Federal School House:
At Port Elizabeth in 1836. Washington Whig Mar 5, 1836.

Butter Cove Fishery on Cohansey at Green Swamp Div. William Dare 1840-Deed Book 68 p 16.
Fork Fishery on Cohansey in Hopewell Twp
Soulard's Point Fishery in Hopewell Twp On Cohansey near Jan-Val Creek, 1840, Bk 68 p 14.
The Upper Fishery, on Cohansey, near Pamphylia 1840 Bk 68 p 16.

Fishing Creek
Gordon's Gazetteer describes this watercourse as "a small stream of Downe t-sbip, which flows from Oranoken creek, through the salt marsh, into the Delaware bay."

A neighborhood in Fairfield Twp on the road leading from Fairton to Centre Grove about two miles east of Fairton.

Flax point:
On Stow creek, in Greenwich Twp.

Flax Point:
Landing on Stow creek. See Washington Whig Dec 15, 1815.

Flying Point:
A tract of 300 acres, containing a great part of the village of Cedarville south of Cedar Creek and the Mill pond. Elmer pp 92-93. Deed Isaac Miller to Nathaniel Lawrence, May 26, 1727. Deed Samuel Barnes to Isaac Mills, Mar 28, 1738. Neither deed is recorded. They are among the Elmer papers. The property is part of the Helby survey, which was purchased by Barnes.

Folly Branch:
A branch of Dividing creek just above the village, on which Ladouers Mill was built in 1792. Book A Misc Rec, p 12.

A collection of small dwellings situated east of North Pearl St. just north of Bank St. intersection formerly inhabited by members of the Ford Family.

Fork Bridge(Gorden 1834) Forked Bridge (Beers 1872)
Gordon states that this place takes its name from a bridge "over Maurice river, about 2 miles below the village of Malaga. on the line between Gloucester, Salem and Cumberlund counties. It takes its name from the fork of the river above it. There are here two mills and several dwellings.} As noted above, some time between 1832 and 1872 the name changed from Fork Bridge to Forked Bridge. The 1849 Map of Salem and Gloucester Counties by Stansby, Keily and Rea names the place Fork Bridge.

Fork Field: see Frog pond.

This location near the mouth or Fortescue Creek on the Delaware River was developed into a summer vacation community in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Beers Atlas Map of 1872 shows the word ÔHotelÕ at the approximate location of the resort. It is said to be " the oldest and largest of the fishing communities on the Delaware Bay, was named for John Fortescue, who acquired the land before 1776. The community once had a large hotel, which catered to visitors from Philadelphia who came by steamboat. "
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Fortescuc Creek
According to Gordon, this Downe Township watercourse "flows from the Oranoken creek, through the salt marsh into the Delaware bay.Ó

Fortescue Neck
A strip of (mostly) fast land between Bradon Creek and Fortescue Creek (Beers, 1872)

Freeman's Landing:
An old landing on the north side of the Cohansey, just below Platt's Landing.

Freemason Street:
Bridgeton Early name for Bank Street. Elmer, p 39.

French's Mill: See Sores Mill Fresh Creek:
Lawrence Twp. The creek between Jones Island and the maiinland.

Friendship Mill:
A saw mill on Menantico creek leased by Henry Van Hook to James (Buckarian [Buchanon, Buckman?]) in 1794. Book A Misc Rec p 12.

Friendship Saw Mill:
On Menantico 1793. Deed Smith to van Hook. See Above.

Frog Pond
A pond on N Laurel St, Bridgeton which drained into Cohansey through a ravine through the present plant of Cumberland Glass Mfg Co. A field nearby was known as the Fork Field and was, I presume, in the "fork" between the present Laurel St and Avenue, which later was the old road to Carll's corner. Washington Whig April 25, 1835.

Fuller's Creek:
Now called Rocap's Run, probably after the Rocap family which has owned the farm on the north side of the run for many years the division line between Bridgeton and Fairfield Twps and a tributary of the Cohansey Creek. Further up the stream there was a pond called "the Rag Mill pond". It seems reasonable to speculate that there was a fulling mill on this stream, probably at the pond, at some earlier time.

Fury's Run: (Levi Fury's Run)
The westerly branch of Mourt's Creek and a dividing line between Greenwich and Hopewell Twps. Later known as Mike's Run.



Gandy's Beach
was named for James G. Gandy, who after leading the life of a sea captain and engaging in the oystering business for several years, became a popular landlord at Fortescue.

Goat Hill:
An area of which St. Mary's Cemetery is the probable center.

Glade, The:
Name given to the lowlands near Riggins Ditch crossed by road from Heislerville to Delmont (formerly Ewings Neck). The same name is given to a place on Drunken Creek, about a mile below the Beaver Dam.

Goose Creek:
A watercourse on the west side of the Cohansey Creek below 1800 deed Bowen to Nichols Book 2, p 2.

Goose Landing:
Located on Cedar Creek (Lawrence Twp). see Washington Whig January 29, 1816.

Goose Neck Pond: See Cabin Pond.

Goose Pond:
A shallow pond draining into Lebanon Swamp on the road from Bridgeton to Rosenhayn and nearer the latter place - long since dried up.

Local name for locality in Lawrence Twp about one mile south of Cedarville and west of the road from Cedarville to Newport.

A late 20th century source states that this place "is thought to have been founded by a granddaughter of John Fenwick, who founded the town of Salem. Another theory is that the original settlers were descended from Indians known as the Delaware Moors." 
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98) The story is richer and more complicated than this. We'll try toget a better account of the place.

Gravelly Run:
A branch of Buckshutem Creek mentioned in 1790 in a division of Buckshutem. Book A p 216.

Gravely Run: Grans
Referred to in a survey made to Nat---1705.NJ Archives Vol 21, p 546.

Great Pond Branch:
In Deerfield Twp 1761 Book 1 of Mtgs p 22.

The town of Greenwich was founded in 1675 by John Fenwick. However, at the time of its founding it appears that it was known as Chohanzick (or Chohanzey and various spellings) and that not long afterwards it was also referred to as Antioch. The first appears to he the original Indian name for the area and the second is the name given to it by surveyor James Wasse.
1681 Dec. 22. Deed. Edward BYLING, of the City of Warminster,_gentleman, Nicolas LUCAS of Hartford, Hartford Co., maulster, and_Gawen LAWRY of London, merchant, to James WASSE of London, citizen_and barber chirurgion, in pursuance of an awared made between present_grantors and grantee by William Shewen SEUIL of Southwark, Surrey Co.,_for 5,000 acres, being the same proportion he bought of John FENWICK of_Blinfield, Birks Co., July 12, 1675; 2,500 acres to be taken out of lots 1, 2,_3, 4 and 5, surveyed by Richard HANCOCK, the other 2,500 out of lots 96,_97, 98, 99 and 100, surveyed by the same; also 1-32 of Antioch Township_on Kohanzee Creek (Cumberland Co.). 8(NJA V21 p, 397)(West Jersey Records, Liber B, Part 1, p. 8)
The following deed uses both of these early names.
1682 Nov. 15. Do. Do. to Edmond GIBBONS of 6000 acres on both sides of Unknowne Creek and on the Northside of Chohanzey River, of which 4500 a. on the path to Chohanzey or Antioch Towne, adjoining Wm. LAURENSE and Wm. HUGHS, the other 1500 a. on the Westside of Chohanzey Cr. along the Southside of Henry SALTER's. (NJA Vol. 21 p,550 , Salem Surveys No, 2 p.16). A (probably) final reference to Antioch appears in the following document.
1698-9 March 11. Power of attorney. James WASSE of London, citi-_zen and barber surgeon, to Hugh HALL of Penna: now in London, gentle-_man, as land agent to sell 1,000 acres, part of the 10,000 a. tract in ffen-wicks Colony, bo't of John RICHARDSON, and the town lots in Antioch, on Cohanzee Creek, and on Alaway's Creek; also 1,000 acres more in said_Colony, bo't of Nathaniel UNWIN; one share of W. J., bo't of Sir Thomas_LANE and Daniel COX, and to dispose of the land in the town on Morrise's River. 643 In John FenwickÕs will he refers to the area as Town Neck.(NJAV23).
By 1685 the name Greenwich had come into use and the two older names eventually disappeared from the record,
1685 Nov. 16. Deed. John IRESON of Pennsilvania, fellmonger, to John CLARKE of Greenwich on the River Cesaria alias Chohanzey, W. J., planter, for 500 acres on Shrewsbury Neck on said river, adjoining Wm. JOHNSON, bought of Thomas POTTER May 12, 1683.
NJA Vol. 21 p,570 , Salem Surveys No, 2 p. 120
Greenwich went on to be a busy port (one of three, Burlington and Perth Amboy being the others, authorized for the colony of New Jersey), a market place and an important center for the surrounding country. Thomas Gordon captures a bit of that in 1834 when he writes of Greenwich as "on the Cohansey creek, 6 miles from the mouth, and 6 S. W. from Bridgcton, by post-route 195 N. E. from W. C., and 81 from Trenton; contains between 40 and 50 dwellings of stone, frame, and brick; 1 tavern, 3 stores, and a large grist and merchant mill, 2 Quaker meeting houses, 1 Methodist church, a temperance Žociety, counting more than 200 members; the soil clay and rich loam, well cultivated, and very productive in wheat, oats, rye, and corn." The main street in the town is Ye Greate Street. The entire town, where residents burned a shipment of tea in 1774, is on the National Register of Historic Places.
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Grubfly Neck:
In Downe Twp Some bushland there was advertised for sale in the Washington Whig sept 7, 1718.



Haleyville (Haley's Meeting House):
Haley's Meeting Houseis an early name for what is now known as the village of Haleyville, Commercial Twp. Haleyville "is about a mile west of Mauricetown. Numerous cenotaphs and stone obelisks erected in the memory of men lost at sea, may be found at the old Methodist cemetery there. "

Half Way House:
On the farm then (1878) owned by Charles Dick on the Bridgeton and Millville Turnpike.Hall's Mill:
Road from there to Dorchester mentioned in 1811 Road Book p 83.

Hammock Branch:
A stream in Maurice River Twp.

Hand's Mill:
A grist mill on a branch of West Creek in Maurice River Twp. once owned by Holme's Hand. The road from Delmont to Belleplain crosses the dam. Also called Kit Hand's Mill.

Hance Bridge:
An old bridge over the Menantico Creek in Landis Twp.

Hankin's Pond:
Located in Millville

Harris Mill:
On the upper part of Cohansey Creek near the Salem County line, in Deerfield Twp, about 2 miles northwest of Deerfield village. The mill pond was made before the Revolution and was owned by the Sneathen family for many years and known as Sneathens Mill.

"1687, June 13. Deed. Robert Hutchinson, of New Castle Co., Pennsylvania, yeoman _ to George Haslewood, of New Salem, West Jersey, yeoman, and wife Margrett - for 1,000 acres on the northside of the River Cesariae, alias _Chohanzey, to be called Haslefeild, half of the 2,000 acre tract acquired from Jobe Nettleship, heir of Vicessimus Nettleship, April 22, 1685." _(NJA-21:586)

Hay Landing:
On Buckshutem Creek, between the Mill Dam and the River Division 1790. Book A, P 216.

Head of Greenwich (Othello):
The locality around the Presbyterian church at Greewich. Here was a Post Office called Othello. Current (2007) maps show this place as Othello. A late 20th century account states that Head of Greenwich "was a crossroads about a mile and a half from the center of Greenwich, where a Presbyterian Church and graveyard still stand. The community was named by the local literary society for Shakespeare's Moorish prince."
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

A village in Maurice River Neck laid out as such in 1853. Book 9 Misc Records p 10. It "was originally called Vanaman's after an early settler. The name was later changed to Heislerville after a local family who had lived there many years. "

Helbey Town:
Name of a survey of 7500 acres made to Joseph Helbey Apr 2, 1694. Revel's Surveys p 111. This survey covered nearly all of what is now the easterly part of Lawrence Twp and a considerable part of the lower portion of Fairfield. The name is now obsolete. Helbey conveyed the survey to Samuel Barnes.

Herring Hickman's (or Mill) Creek:
Tributary of the Tuckahoe River, about a mile above Tuckahoe Village, and formerly the boundary between Cape May and Cumberland Counties.

Hoffman's Mill:
In Maurice River but I have not been able to locate it definitely. There appears to have been both a grist mill and a saw mill. See Hand & Hoffman 3 Hal 71. The property belonged to James Hoffman.

Hog Island:
In the salt marsh in Sayres Neck. Deed 1800 Jacob Keyser to Jona Westcott in 1768 and on July 14, 1798, was divided among the heirs of Westcott by Eli Elmer, Surveyor.

Hog Island Creek:
In Sayre's Neck 1859. Road Book B, p 1809.

Hole Landing:
On Maurice River at Millville. The property, a wharf house and 7 acres of land, is advertised for sale by Joseph MiIlvaine in the Washington Whig, March 4, 1816 and is said to be between the furnace and the glass works. See also deed Lee to Wood and Smith 1814. Book 25, p 34.

Hollingshead's Mill: see Cooper's Mill.

Hollow Road:
The "old Hollow Road" in Fairfield Twp is an old woods road running up Maple Hollow and around into the Buckshutem Road. It runs close to the Denby [Darby?] Field.

Horse Bone Road:
An old road between Rosenhayn and Carmel, but running east and west on the portion of the Buck land set off to Caroline Buck. See maps Deed Bk 74 P l&c.

Horse Bridge:
An old bridge over the Blackwater Branch of the Maurice River, probably four or five miles from its mouth and in Landis Twp near the Gloucester Co line. Deed Eli Elmer to James Jese 1787 Book 12, pIll. what is now known as Main Road from Millville to Vineland was long known as the Horse Bridge Road, in deed 1814 Souder to wood (26/30). Horse Bridge is referred to as being 1/2 mile below the Indian Pond. For location see map 1n Road Book 2 p 233.

Horse Pond Branch:
In Deerfield Twp 1761. Book 1 of Mtgs, p22.

Hudson Branch:
The southerly fork of Manaway Branch of Maurice River, Landis Twp.

Hughes' Creek: See Ayers Creek

Hunter's Mill:
A saw mill on the Tuckahoe River. The line between Cape May and Cumberland comes close to the westerly end of the mill. The pond was a cranberry bog in 1915. There is another bog, formerly a pond, just above called "Forge Pond". Evidently the manufacture of iron ore was carried on here.

Hunter's Road:
An old road extending northerly through the upper part of Hopewell Twp and lying to the east of the present "Commissioner's Road", and now vacated, 1781. See Rd Bk A p 47.



Indian Fields:
A tract of land between Jackson's Run and Indian Fields Run, bounded on the east by the Burlington Road.

Indian Fields Road:
Irving Avenue.

Indian Going Over:
A bridge on the road leading from Dividing Creek to Port Norris, and a corner in the line between Downe and Commercial Twps. The bridge is over Hansey's Creek, on a branch thereof. "It is not on the present straight road along the trolley, but on the road which runs through Dragston, which is the earlier road". J. D. Burt

Indian Pond:
A pond on the Blackwater Branch of the Maurice River, above Horse Bridge.



Jack Branch:
The southerly branch of Cedar Creek. The name is said to have some connection with a jug of "applejack" concealed in the stream. Jack Brown.

Jacob's Branch:
Located on the Cumberland Tract and probably a branch of the Manumuskin in the easterly side. Deed Sharp to Wood 1870 Bk 125 P 31.James Gut:
See Blue Jim's Gut.

Jay Field: See Jay Hill.

Jay Hill:
The hill on the Bridgeton and Millville Turnpike where the "Middle Switch" now is. Mr Wm Steward says this was called "Jay Fields Hill", the farm lately known as the Dick Farm, being an old field, mostly on the north side of the pike, known as the Jay Field from the family of that name that once occupied it.

Jecak's Creek - Jecais Creek
This creek is now known as West Creek, and is the boundary between Cumberland and Cape May Counties. Cumberland County was a part of Salem County until 1748, so Jecak's Creek had been, in early times, a boundary line of Salem County as well. Gordon's Gazetteer says "West or Jecak Creek, forms the S.W. boundary of Cumberland Co., between that and Cape May Co. It is a mill sireani between 6 and 7 miles in length, upon which are Hughes' grist and saw mills."

Jeddy's Pond:
The small pond north of West Commerce St and in Tumbling Dam Park. So called for Jedediah Davis, a prominent surveyor who laid out the Tumbling Dam and raceway, which latter crosses Muddy Branch and so makes this pond.

A Black settlement on Burlington Road at the intersection of Pamphylia Ave.

This community on Stow Creek "was named for the mills at that location, which were established about 1700 by John Brick to grind grain."

Jericho Tavern
There was a famous tavern kept at Jericho on the Cumberland Co. side for many years. It was a great resort for sleighing and dancing parties. The house was still standing in 1915. In 1845, this was known as the Milkmaid Inn and kept by Benjamin Ballenger. see Minutes Board of Freeholders for Nov 25, 1845.

Jewell's Marsh:
A tract of banked meadow on the northerly side of Cohansey Creek in Hopewell - 1794 Road Book A p 107.

Johnnie Gettsinoer's Wharf:
A wharf along Cohansey Creek west of the northern end of Grove St. The site of a former glass house.

Johnson's Cottage:
A survey in Shrewsbury Neck Fairfield Twp to Thomas Smith and William Johnson in1678. (Vol.21 NJ Archives p 568)

.Johnson's Mill:
In Maurice River, can't locate it. Deed Richard P. Johnson to Eli Budd 1870. D.F. 308.

Jones Island:
The fast land between Cedar Creek and Nantuxent Creek in Lawrence Twp entered from Cedarville.

Jones Mill:
An old mill site on Muskee Creek in Maurice River Twp, now deserted but a head of water in the pond. A place of some prominence in the early days and at one time the polling place for the whole township. There is an old graveyard here with several graves but only one stone inscribed:"In memory of Abraham Jones, Esq. was born in the year of our Lord 1715 and departed this life the 17th day of January 1786." He was a man of a considerable prominence in his day and a large landowner.

Jones Neck:
Maurice River Township. The early name for what was afterwards known as Ewing's Neck. 1795 Road Boos A p 123.

Joshua's Branch:
A branch of Buckshutem Creek shown on map of lands of heirs of David Bowen made in 1799.



Kauffmans Pond:
Formerly a small pond along Jackson's run at the crossing of Indian Avenue.

Keen's Run:
I find the name first in 1792 Road Book A p 100. A stream known in 1870 & 80 as the "slash" running out of the northerly end of Elmer's Mill pond and across Irving Avenue. The small boys had great sport in and around a little pond on this stream just north of Irving Avenue. The property belonged to Wm G. Nixon who sold to a company that filled in the hollow and built a culvert to carry the stream and laid the land out in building lots. The stream appears again to the north above Indian Ave, and across the railroad, where there is now a small pond. Keen's Run probably took it's name from John Keen, who kept tavern near there on what is now Irving Ave 1754-1775. Sheppard p 583.

Keeppe Creek:
The same as Keiappe Creek.

Keippe Creek:
A small creek on the north side of Cohansey Creek, probably in the old Holmes Body of Meadow. Name used in 1691. 21 NJ Archives p 462.

Kill Pig Hole:
The vicinity now called Rockville in Fairfield Twp. The name was changed at a meeting of the inhabitants in 1870. Originally the name was that of a branch of Back creek. See Deed Wm Dare to Thomas Killingsworth, June 17, 1697 for 800 acres. Salem deeds A 6 p 122 office of Sec of State. This seems to be the earliest use of the name which the locality took from the creek.

King's Road: See Old Cape Road.

An early name for Roadstown. Elmer p 16. See mortgage by Seth Bowen 1774. Bk 1 of Mtgs p 83.



Laurel Hill:
Bridgeton. Roughly that area between Rose St. and North St. on Laurel and Pearl Streets.

Ladow's Mill:
A saw mill and pond on Foley Branch of Dividing Creek near the village of Dividing Creek The mill appears to have been built about 1792 and bothth a saw and grist mill were contemplated. See Bk A of Misc Records p 12.

Leamings Mill:
An ancient mill site on the Menantico Creek, where it was crossed by the Old Cape Road. There was a mill there owned by Wm Rawson who in 1722 had a tavern license. Elmer p 73 - Sheppard p 520. About 1790 it was owned by Jacob Browning. In 1915 the pond was under cultivation as a cranberry bog.

Gordons Gazetteer describes this place as a "village of Maurice River t-ship, Cumberland Co.. on the left bank of Maurice river, about 41 miles from its mouth, and 20 S. E. of Bridgetown; contains 115 or 20 houses, 1 store, I tavern, and a Methodist thumb. There is a considerable quantity of ship building hers, such as sloops, schooners, &c., and much trade in lumber and wood. The soil in the village an country immediately around it is very productive; it is one of the oldest settlements upon the river." It is said that it " is named for John Lee and his brother. Both ship carpenters from Egg Harbor, they established a boat works here in 1795."
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Liberty Pole:
There seems to have been one still standing at New England Town Cross Roads in 1794. Road Book A p 199 - Ib P 150

Lilly Pond:
A small pond in Deerfield Twp on Cornwell's Run, a branch of Cohansey, along the Deerfield Pike on its easterly side. Just north of the run was a common place for gypsies to camp.

A landing place on Cohansey Creek about half way between the site of the old mill and the present dam at Sunset Lake.

Long Branch:
A tributary of the Blackwater from the north. See Map of Benj. Thompson's 400 A of Cedar Swamp made by Ebenezer Miller in 1748. Clement Papers.

Lore's Mill:
Located on Dividing Creek. In 1751 when a road was laid to it from Dividing Creek, this mill was owned by Hezekiah Lore. It was a grist mill for many years. Latterly it has some times been known as French's Mill. The pond was a cranberry bog in 1915.

Lower Landing Street:
An early name for what is now S Laurel St in Bridgeton. 1791 Road Bk A P 91.

Ludton Pond:
A small pond east of Fayette St. on a stream on the southern boundary of Bridgeton.



Marshallville, or Cumberland Works,
Thomas Gordon's Gazetteer describes this place being "on Tuckahoe creek, Maurice Creek t-ship, Cumberland Co., at the eastern extremity of the Co., 28 miles S. E. of Bridgeton; contains from 30 to 40 houses, some extensive glass works belonging to Randall Marshall, at which much window glass is manufactured, 1 tavern, and 2 stores. There is much ship building carried on here in vessels of from 50 to 100 tons; soil, sandy." Boundary lines have apparently changed since 1832. Marshallville is now (2007) in Cape May County.

Mattox Landing:
An early name for the locality of the village of Mauricetown, Commercial Twp. Elmer p 7. I find it called Luke Mattox Landing in 1789. Road Book A p 72.

In 1832 Thomas Gordon described this village as a "p.t. on Maurice river, 10 or 12 miles from its mouth, 87 miles S of Trenton, 18 from Bridgeton, and 184 from W. C.; contains some 20 dwellings, store, tavern, an academy, and Methodist church. The town is handsomely situated upon a high belt of rich land, and some of the dwellings are of brick, very neat and pleasant, and surrounded by valuable meadows." A late 20th century newspaper account states that Mauricetown "dates back to 1714 when Caesar Hoskins established his home there. By 1789, the town was called Mattox's Landing after its major citizen, Luke Mattox. In 1814, the Compton brothers began laying out the streets and the name Mauricetown was used. The name comes from the river, which in turn is thought to derive its name from a 17th century Dutch ship, the Prince Maurice, burned by the Indians before the town was settled."
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98) It is not clear that the ship burning story has any substance.  In this instance,it likely has its origin in Barber and Howes 1842 account of the place.  Most authorities simply say the river and town are named for Prince Maurice of the House of Orange.  Bill Leap, a local historian of some note says that a Dutch ship named the Prince Maurice did indeed run up on a shoal near the Mouth of the river in the early 17th century and while stuck evidently sent boats upstream to explore and map the river.  The sent messengers overland to new Amsterdam to get help.  He was not aware of any good account of the ship being burned by indians.

Maurice River
Named for Prince Maurice of the Netherlands. The name of this river has been pronounced ( and occasionally written) ÔMorrisÕ for centuries. As Thomas Gordon Notes it "rises by several small branches in Deptford and Franklin t-ships, Gloucester Co., which uniting above Fork Bridge on the line between the S. E. boundary of Salem Co. and Cumberland Co., form a considerable stream, which there gives motion to several mills. About 8 miles below this point, the river receives from Salem Co. a large tributary, called Muddy run, above the head of the dam of the Milleville works. From this dam, which checks the whole river, a canal of near 3 miles in length, supplies the works at Millcville. From this town the river is navigable for 20 miles to the bay, for vessels of 50 or 100 tons, and to within 5 miles of its mouth, its shores are lined with valuable embanked meadows. It receives in its course a number of considerable tributaries, on either hand. The oysters taken at the mouth of this river are famed for their excellent quality."

Maul's Bridge,
This bridge crosses over the Maurice river, between Cumberland and Salem counties.

Menantico Saw Mill: See Souder's Mill.

Middle Branch:
Maurice River Twp. The middle one of the many branches of Muskee creek at it's head.Middle Run:
The northerly fork of Nantuxent creek in Lawrence Twp. Glass sand is worked along it's head.

Middle Street:
Bridgeton, now known as Pearl St. Elmer p 39

Milkmaid Inn: See Jericho Tavern

Mill Creek
This watercourse is, as Thomas Gordon Noted in his Gazetteer, "a tributary of Cohansey creek, rising in Fairfield t-ship, Cumberland Co., and flowing S. W. about 4 miles, by the village of Fairton, to its recipient, giving motion to two mills."

Miller's Bridge:
A the head of Cohansey Creek in Deerfield Twp. Washington Whig June 27, 1835

Part of Milmay - a settlement midway between Millville and Mays Landing - lies within Maurice River Township along the upper Manumuskin. Cedar Logging took place in this area as soon as 1758. Along with East Vineland, Milmay was settled from the 1870's into the 1890's, first by Italian and then by Polish immigrants attracted to the region by Vineland's founder and developer, C.K. Landis. The railroad was routed through Milmay around 1894 and a post office established in 1897. Around 1905, the Waldeck Company attempted - ultimately unsuccessfully - to grow first tobacco and then licorice in the area. There is a historic survey marker somewhat east of Milmay which divides three townships; in the 18th century this marker was placed there by the Council of Proprietors of West New Jersey, a land development corporation founded in 1688. Milmay and East Vineland share two historic Roman Catholic Churches: St. Mary's, founded in 1884, and Our Lady of Pompeii, founded in 1907(Maurice River TownshipWeb Site).

Gordon describes this place as a "p-t. of Millville i-ship, Cumberland Co., on the left bank of Maurice river, 20 miles from its mouth, 11 miles S. E. of Bridgeton, 79 from Trenton, and 176 N. E. from W. C.; contains about 60 dwellings, 2 taverns, 4 or 5 stores, a furnace belonging to Mr. D. C. Wood, and extensive glass works belonging to Messrs. Burgin and Pearsall; consisting of 2 factories, 1 containing an 8, and the other a 7 pot furnace, employed chiefly in the manufactture of bottles, demijohns, carboys, and the various kinds of vials used by druggists and apothecaries, giving employment to from 75 to 100 workmen. The town lies near the head of sloop navigation." A newsparer account from the 1990s states that Millville "can trace its origins to a site three miles north of the city to an area known as the Union, where grist and saw mills were built in the early 18th century. The Maurice River was dammed to provide water to power the mills, and the area became known as Union Mills. In 1795, Col. Joseph Buck, who had served in the Revolutionary War, began to lay out the streets and sell lots. He used the name of Millville for his project. It was incorporated as a city in 1866."
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Moseley's Shield
"1679/80, Jan. 26. Patent. John Fenwick to Thomas Smyth, late of Mosely, Parish of Chadleton, County of Stafford, now of Shrewesburie Neck, Fenwick's Colony, gentleman, and Wil1iam Johnson - for 500 acres at Shrewesbury Neck, between Cohanzioke River, Borthe's Plantation, Shrewesbury Creek, Dickman's Plantation, hereafter to be called Moseley's Shield and Johnson's Cottage - part of the 20,000 acres granted to Edward Bourne in trust for said John Fenwick." (NJA-21:568)

Murder Lane:
Runs to the west from the Commissioner's Road in Stow Creek Twp and leads in to the farm where Zadoe Damrell was killed by Charles T Ogden and Washington Howard, April 28, 1864. The latter were convicted of murder and hanged at Bridgeton, July 20, 1864.



Nantuxet Creek
Gordon's Gazetteer of 1834 notes that "this creek is said to be more properly called Antuxet, Cumberland Co., rises on the boundary line between Fairfield and Downe t-ships, and flows along the boundary, about 9 miles to Nantuxet cove, in the Delaware; it is navigable near four miles to Nantuxet, or Newport Landing.'

Nantuxet Village. (See Newport.)

Nantuxet Cove
The inlet to Nantuxct creek, from the Delaware bay.

New England Crossroads/ New England Town
Gordon says "A village of Fairfield t-ship, Cumberland Co., near Cohansey creek, 5 miles S. of Bridgeton; contains some 12 or 15 dwellings, scattered along the road within the space of a mile; near it is a Methodist church."

Newport, or Nantuxet
According to Gordon's Gazetteer, this village is "said to be more properly called " Antuxet," p.t. of Dover t-ship, Cumberland Co., on the Nantuxet creek, 5 miles above its mouth, 10 miles S. from Bridgeton. 187 N. E. from W.C., and 5I S. of Trenton; contains from 20 to 30 houses, 1 tavern arid store. This place is noted as having been the resort of refugees and tories during the revolution." It was " the site of a skirmish between the Whigs and Tories during the American Revolution. It also was the site of early saw and grist mills. "
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)



Oak Grove School House:
In Millville at the junction of the road from Bridgeton to Buckshutem and Millville to Buckshutem

Ogden's Creek:
Ware creek at the head of Ogden's Creek southeast of Turkey point.

Ogden's Mill:
On Mill Creek near Fairton, the dam being below the present dam. Elmer p 25. Also see Shaws Mill.

Old Cape Road:
For location in part of Maurice River Twp. Also in Book 25 p 525. [utterly inadequate - get a new article]

Old Farm Landing:
In Fairfield Twp on the south side of Cohansey 1787. Deed Dixon to Mints (A 219)

Old Major:
John Pierson's survey of cedar swamp on Maurice River in what is now Commercial Twp 1768 - Book 1 of Mtgs p 18. Below Buckshutem And on or near Strip Run.

Old Mill, The:
A location along Cohansey Creek about half way between the site of the Old Mill and the present dam at Sunset Lake.

Old Station, The:
The railroad station that formerly stood at the corner of Irving Avenue and Walnut Street in Bridgeton.

Oranoken Creek,
Gorden notes that thus stream, which rises in Bear Swamp, "flows S.W. 12 or 14 miles, into Maurice River Cove, sending forth several small streams, laterally to the west, which have their mouths higher up in the bay."

Othello: See Head of Greenwich.

Otter Gut:
On the east side of Maurice River below Silver Run. Leaming 1810. Book 17 of Deed p 27.

Ox Drinking Place:
Mentioned in the Buckshutem Division 1790. (A of Deed p 216)



Pamphylia Landing:
On the east side of the Cohansey, in Bridgeton, below Blue Jim's Gut, 1833. Deed Davis Padgett et ux to Smith Bowen. Bk Ad p 155.

Pamphylia Springs -

Panther Branch:
A Branch of Menantico in Landis Twp. on the easterly side of the stream just below Genoa Ave.

Parker Field:
Maurice River Twp on Nixon's Branch of Muskee Creek. vs Reeves, 44 NJ Law, 526.Parson's Tavern: See Taverns

Parvin's Bridge:
A bridge over Lebanon Branch of Maurice River in Deerfield Twp. Deed Bk 26 p 115.

Parvin's Run
This creek, according to Thomas Gordon, is "a tributary of the Cohansey creek, which joins its recipient, 2 miles S. of Briridgeton; notable as part of the boundary between Deerfield and Fairfield t-ships."

Parvin's Branch
Gordon says that this watercourse, a branch "of Maurice river, rises in Millville I-ship, Cumberland Co., and flows eastwardly to the head of the Pond, of Millville works."

Parvin's Tavern (Silas):
Silas Parvin kept a tavern in Bridgeton in a two story high [hip?] roofed house south of Commerce St and east of Atlantic St as they now are. Sheppard p 582.

Indian name for Delaware Bay. Watsons Annals p 7.

Payday's Ditch:
A ditch leading out of Maurice River, on the easterly side, an near the lower end of Long Reach. Deed Lore to David 1796. Bk 1 P 350.

Pea Landing:
On the easterly side of Maurice River, and I believe between Millville and the Menantico Creek. Division lands of Aaron Leaming, 1810. Deed Bk 17 P 219. There appears to have been two landings known respectively as upper and Lower Pea Landing. Mtg of Charles waldo 1774. Book 1 MtgS.

Perkin's Causeway:
A road across the Bear swamp in Downe Twp about a half mile above the Beaver Dam on Oranokee Creek. Deed Dunlap to Lupton 1859.

Persimmon Ponds:
On Gravelly Run, a branch on the southern side of Buckshutem, 1801 Road Book A. P. 163

Peter's Branch:
A branch of the Blackkwater - Landis Twp. Deed Eli Elmer, shff to Jas Jere, 1787 - Bk. 1 p.111. P

Peterson's Branch:
1809. See Road book, p 47.

Peter's Run:
Stream in Downe Twp. 1800. Deed Cullen to oliver 1800 p. 215. probably below Pt. Norris, now in Commercial Twp.

Petty Coat (Petticoat) Run:
East side of Maurice River in Southern part City of Millville. Deed Leaming to Drinker 1785 Book 1. p. 6.

Pine Branch.
A branch of Buckshutem shown on map of lands of heirs of David Bowen 1799.

Pine Mount:
An elevation covered with pine timber in Greenwich Twp. 1687 Deed John Adam to Samuel Bacon for 100 a. 21 NJ RCJ 587.
1702-3 Survey to Thos. Applegate, this reference is to Pine Mount Maarch, which I have not been able to definitely locate--NJ Arch. 546. Also called Mount Gibbon-Elmer, p 17.Pine Mount Creek
Gordon's Gazetteer stattes that "this creek rises on the E. side of Greenwich t-ship, and flows southward, sonic 3 or 4 miles, when dividing into two branches, in opposite directions, it isolates an eminence covered with pines, and bounded southward by the Cohansey river, of which the creek is a tributary."

Platt's Landing:
On the north side of Cohansey Creek in Lower Hopewell, now the Sora Gun Club property.Pole Bridge:
On a branch of Buckshutem Creek shown on map of lands of heirs of David Bowen made in 1799.

Pond Creek,
"Downe t-ship a short inlet to the marsh on the W. side of Maurice river cove."- Gordon

Port Elizabeth
Gordon states that this village was, in 1832, a " p-t. of Maurice river t-ship, Cumberland Co., upon the Mariamuskin creek, near its confluence with the Maurice river, about 14 miles front the Delaware bay, 16 S. E. from Bridgeton, 85 from Trenton, and 182 from W. C.; contains from 80 to 100 dwellings, I tavern, 4 stores, a Baptist church, an academy, a commodious building; some large glass works, managed by acompany of Germans, under the firm of Getz, Zinger, and Co., at which large quantities of window glass and hollow ware are made. The hands of this establishment speak the Ger. man language altogether, and are remarkable for their cultivation of music. A considerable lumber trade is carried on from the town, and same ship buildlag is done there. The town is 16 miles from the Delaware bay, by the sinuosities of Maurice river, and 5 by road. The river is navigable for vessels of 120 tons. There are 4 grist, and 3 saw mills within 3 miles of the town. Much business is done here in wood, lumber, and rails. The town is built on good land, and is surrounded by very valuable meadows, worth $100 the acre." A late 20th century source adds that the place "was first known as Maurice River Town. Streets were laid out in 1771 by Elizabeth Clark Bodley, who owned the land. Quakers, Presbyterians, Methodists, African Methodists, and Catholics all had churches there. In the first part of the 19th century, the town was second only to Bridgeton in importance as a major port and industrial center. A glassworks was established there by James Lee in 1795. "
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Port Norris,
In 1832, according to Thomas Gordon, this village had a "landing and storehouse, with a tavern, store, and 5 or 6 dwellings, on the west side of Maurice river, about 10 miles from the mouth, 5 miles from Dividing Creek village, and 22 from Bridgeton.Ó Earlier names for this town were Dallas Ferry and Yock Wock Landing. Another source states that the town"was named for Norris Jones, a son of Joseph "Coffee" Jones of Philadelphia, who bought the land in 1810. The timber industry provided a living for its early settlers, but by 1870, a thriving oyster industry existed. For the next 70 years it was to bring prosperity to the town. " 
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Potter's Pines:
Bridgeton. A tract of pine timber at the head of "Blue Jim's Gut", bounded by South Ave, South East Ave, Garfield St, and Pamphylia Ave, cut up with building lots and sold only about half.



Rabbit Town Points:
Fairfield Twp, on the road that leads across Mile hollow to Five Points.

Ragged Point Creek:
(1814) Deed Bk 24 P 612. A tributary of Cohansey in Lower Bacon's Neck - Also called Ragged Island Gut in Division of Benj. Bacon's land in 1830.

Rag Mill Pond: See Fuller's creek

Ragtown: See Dragston

A name given to some Seventh Day Adventists neighborhood in Fairfield Twp - about 1912.

Rattlesnake Run:
A tributary of Cohansey entering in the village of Fairton. Mile Hollow pond is on sometimes called Rattlesnake Gut.

A place near Cumberland Furnace. Wm Frick and sons of Port Elizabeth killed four bears there on May 7, 1815. Washington Whig May 17, 1825.

Red Bank:
On the east side of Maurice River opposite Buckshutem and probably near where the Swede's Church was located. Buckshutem division.

Reeve's Landing:
On south side of Cohansey below Greenwich. Release of Dower of Tamson Lawrence 1806.

Reuben Field:
An old field in Maurice River Twp Robin Hood's Branch A stream on the easterly side of Maurice River, which crosses Landis Ave on the outskirts of Vineland. 1814 Deed see to Smith 23/34.

Thomas Gordon's Gazetteer of 1832 describes this place as a "p-t- or Cumberland Co., on the line dividing Stow Creek and Hopewell t-ships, 5 miles W. of Bridgeton, 179 N. B. of W. C., and 73 by post-route from Trenton; contains 20 dwelLings,.1 tavern, 2 stores, and a large Baptist church of brick. The town is peopled principally by the cultivators of the soil; the soil is good loam, and improving by the use of marl." Roadstown was for many years the home of a branch of the Ware family who were well known for their skill as chair makers. A late 20th century source says that Roadstown " originally known as Sayre's Crossroads, was the terminus of a stage coach line to Philadelphia after 1770. The Cohansey Baptist Church, the oldest existing meeting house for that denomination in South Jersey, was erected in 1802."
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Robinhood Branch
Gordon states that this is a "branch of Maurice river, a small tributary, flowing from the east into the river, about 2 miles below Maul's bridge.

Rockville: see Kill Pig Hole.

The Rolling Mill Bridge:
Washington Street Bridge in Bridgeton.

Rosenhayn was originally planned and laid out by Joseph W. Morton after the Civil War. He copied the design for Vineland, another planned community, but was never able to make Rosenhayn a serious rival.
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)   Often identified as a purely jewish community, Rosenhaym was actually somewhat more diverse and supported a Methodist Episcopal Church.

Russell's Branch:
Branch of Cohansey Creek now called Loper's Run. Washington Whig, April 14, 1835.

Russell's Neck:
In Deerfield Twp between Loper's Run and Foster's Run and between the Bridgeton and Deerfield Pike and the Cohansey. Ephraim Russell was an early owner of land here. Loper's Run was formerly called Russell's Branch. Deed Samuel Yapp to Isaac Joslin, Nov 2 1799 and not recorded. See also Division of Thomas Yapp's land in Surrogate's Office and Sheppard. p 507.



Sarah Run:
The branch of Stow Creek which forms the line between Cumberland and Salem Counties above Jericho.

Savory Gosling's Field:
In southerly part of Landis Twp, east of the Malaga Rd. 1832. Deed McCurdy to Madden Bk A F p 370.

Saw Mill Creek:
Indian Field's Run (Bridgeton)

Sayre's Neck:
The fast land between Back Creek and Bower's Creek (a branch of Cedar Creek) Lawrence Twp.

Sayre's Cross Roads:
An early name for Roadstown (which see)

Sayre's Mill Grist Mill:
This mill was built by Abraham Sayre near the Cohansey Creek, in Bridgeton, on the road to which is now known as North Street. The mill was supplied with power from the Tumbling Dam by a race way along the easterly side of the creek. The raceway is still easly located at this time (1915) Washington Whig Jan 5, 1819.

Sayre's Old Place:
A fast landing on Maurice Riyer on the west side and above Muddy Run, within Penn's 19,000 A. survey. Referred to in deed Ezekiel Foster use to Eli Elmer - not recorded but among Elmer papers.

Scotland Branch:
A branch of Maurice River just above the mill pond at Willow Grove on Fork Mills and forming part of the line between Cumberland and Salem Counties.

This community "was founded in the 20th century by Charles "C.F." Seabrook, who established Seabrook Farms in 1912 and built the community for his employees. His agricultural methods were state-of-the-art for that time. He was one of the first to spray his crops by aircraft, and the frozen food plant he opened was once of the first in the United States. He also welcomed Japanese-American internees after World War II, and built a schoo for his workers."
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Sea Breeze:

Seventh Day Mill:
Grist Mill in Stow creek Twp on Branch of Stow Creek. Still in operation in 1915. Has also been known as Nobles Mill and Zenos Davis' Mill.Second Branch of Cohansey: See North west Branch of Cohansey.

Seeley's Branch:
A stream on the Cumberland Tract. Deed Sharp to Wood 1870 Bk 125 p 31.

Shaw's Mill:
A grist mill in Downe Twp on Page's Run about 1 1/2 miles from Newport. It was abandoned and falling into decay in 1910, but a head of water was maintained in the pond. Inscription on a white marble stone over the door: "Henry Shaw's Mill Built A.D. 1810 by Thomas French, Master Builder." There was a mill here before this date and as early as 1763 owned by Samuel Ogden, and also a saw mill. The latter was abandoned long since. Sheppard p 659. It was known as Henry Shaw's Mill in 1863.

originally known as Cohansey Corners, Shiloh was settled by Seventh-Day Baptists under Robert Ayars in 1705. They established a church in 1737, and their observance of Saturday as the Sabbath set the community apart.
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Shingle Landing:
On the easterly side of Maurice River and an early name for the site of Millville "by the side of Maurice River, a little above the lower Shingle Landing and little below the uppermost landing where vessels used to come to load and a little above where Maurice River Bridge now stands." Deed Leaming ux to Drinker Book 1 p 6.

Ship Yard Landing:
On Buckshutem Creek. 1790 Buckshutem Division (Deed Bk A p 216).Shoe Make Creek:
A branch of Back Creek. Deed Isaac Preston to J Ogden, Bk 1 P 128.

Shough's Corner:
Located on the old Salem pike where it is crossed by the road on which Buttonwood School House stands.

Shrewsbury Creek:
In Shrewsbury Neck, referred to in survey to Hugh Dickman 1678. 21 NJ Archives 545.

Skunk Hollow:
On a branch of Town Swamp above Maple Branch, Fairfield Twp on road from Fairton to Millville.

Skunk's Misery:
In Bridgeton, the meadow at the foot of Orange St--now filled in and occupied by the railroad yards.

The Slash:
A small pond along Jackson's Run just north of Orchard Street.

Slab Branch:
Maurice River Twp. A branch of Muskee Creek near its head and on it's southerly side.

Smith's Bridge: See Tarkiln Branch and Tarkiln Bridge.

Smith's Mill:
In 1811 Smith's Mill Dam is mentioned as being on the Gloucester Co line. Road Bk B P 83. I surmise that it may be what was later known as Hunter's Mill, this being before Atlantic Co was created.

Sneathen's Mill:
The upper most mill on the Cohansey Creek and still occupied(1915) as a mill site, a grist mill. Referred to as James Sneathen's Mill in 1780. Deed Ezekiel Jarman to Nathaniel Leake, Bk 1 P 47. The Cumberland and Salem Co line crosses the pond. so called in 1768. Book 1 Mtgs p 21. see Harris Mill, a later name

Soulard's Point:
On the Hopewell side of Cohansey Creek near Tan Vat Creek - 1840 map of Fishery Deed Bk

South Branch:
Maurice River Twp. A branch of Slab Branch of Muskee Creek

Spring Garden Ferry:
May 12, 1813 an application of Joe Elkinton rates of ferriage at Spring Garden Ferry were fixed as follows: "Four horse wagons and load 37 1/2 cents, 2 horse 25 cents, horse and sulkey, chair bar wagon 19 cents, horse and rider 12 1/2, every adorned horse 6 1/4 cents, every horned creature 6 1/4 cents, foot person 6 1/4 cents, half dozen sheep or calves or less 12 1/2 cents" by the County Board of Freeholders (see minutes of the Board) They were reduced May 9, 1821. on May 8, 1822 rates were raised but not to the old standard.

This Aftican American community is said to have been settled by persons who were aided by Greenwich Quakers, via the Underground Railroad, to escape the bonds of slavery.
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)

Steelman's Mill:
Maurice River Twp. In the extreme easterly part on Tuckahoe River on one of its tributaries, now (1915) a cranberry bog.

Steep Run:
Commercial Twp. A run entering Maurice River on its westerly side and below Buckshutem. Book 1 of Mtgs p 18

Stephen's Branch:
A stream in Maurice River Twp.

Stoe Creek Factory:
Name given by John Wood to a woolen mill established by him in a building formerly occupied by him as a distillery. Washington Whig for Sep 28, 1818.

Stone Hill Neck:
Lawrence Twp. On the south side of Buckshutem near what is known as the Joseph Bailey farm.

Stow Creek
- Stow (or Stowe) Creek is the dividing line between Cumberland and Salem Counties, and in Colonial days was an important waterway. An early name was "Unknown" Creek" also "Mattocks Creek". Gordon's Gazetteer says that "Stow Creek rises on the confines of Salem and Cumberland Cos., and Hopewell and Upper Alloways Creek t.ships, and by a S. W. and S. course, forms the line between these counties, by the meanders of the creek; 25 miles to time Delaware bay. It is navigable for sloops, about 18 miles, and has some good banked meadow on its borders, for the distance of 9 miles, commencing 9 miles from its mouth."

Stowe Neck:
The name of a farm of 370 acres on Stow Creek owned by Edward Bradway in 1693. (see his will 23 NJ Archives 55) May have been on what is now the Salem Co side of the creek.

Strathem's Neck
"A strip of land lying in the N. W. angle of Greenwich t-ship, formed by the junction of Newport and Stow creeks" - Gordon

Sugar Hill:
Vicinity in village of Cedarville 1800. Deed Jefferies to Buck Bk 2 P 159.

Sweed's [SwedeÕs] Church:
On the easterly side of Maurice River. Referred to in the Buckshutem Division 1790 (Book A of Deeds p 216) locating a corner by bearings and therefore standing at that time. Think it was along the bank of the river below Menantico and probably below the Yap Shore. The Red Bank is also mentioned by the same bearing from its corner in the descriptions above referred to.



Tan Vat CreeK:
On the west side of Cohansey Creek near Soulard's Point and probably in what is known as the Fork Body of Meadow. See map of a fishery of Wm Dare in 1840. Deed Bk 68 p 14.

Tappen Lane:
The road from Bacon's Neck to Bay Side.

Tarkiln Branch
1. The northerly fork of Parvin's Branch of Maurice River, Landis Twp.
2. The northerly fork of Manaway Branch of Maurice River, Landis Twp.
3. A branch of Tuckahoe River now in Cape May Co, formerly in Cumerland,
over which was a bridge known as Smith's Bridge, probably where it is crossed by the Old Cape Road. (Div Society Tract 1810 Bk 16 of Deeds 9 p 291). Nearby was the Tarkiln Tavern. There was also a mill known as Champion's Mill on this stream. The making of tar in the pine forests seems to have gone out of date sometime before charcoal burning ceased. Henry Reeves tells me that he has only known of one tar kiln in his day, and that was when he was a boy, and was made by a man named Banks near Cumberland.

Tarkiln Bridge:
In Maurice River Twp on the Old Cape Road. Query: Is this the same as Smith's Bridge mentioned under Tarkiln Branch? 1797. Deed Jeremiah Smith to Jesse Smith. Bk E P 538.

Tarkiln Pond:
This pond also marked "M Steelman's" is shown on the map of the division of Ichabod Compton's land in 1838. In Maurice River Twp (now in Cape May Co). See Tarkiln Branch.


One at Spring Garden Ferry: Kept by John Elkueton in 1815. See Road Book B p. 153. This was on the Maurice River Township side of the Ferry.

William Rawson: had license for a tavern on Menantico in 1722. It was probably at Leaming's Mill Sheppard p. 520.

East Point: There was a resort and tavern here at the lower end of Maurice River Neck for many years. The house was kept as a licensed tavern, and at one time sheriff Samuel Peacock was the proprietor.

Tarklin Tavern: On the Tarklin Branch of Tuckhoe river (now in Cape May Co.). probably near where the stream is crossed by the Old Cape Road. In 1799 it was conveyed by Horatio Lloyd to Geo. Burgin. Elmer papers.

Michael Hoshels Tavern: - An old tavern was kept by Michael Hoshel in the upper part of Hopewell Township. Philip Vickers Fithian stopped here on his way to Virginia in 1773. Apparently the place was 8 miles from Greenwich and 8 miles from Quinton.

A tavern was formerly kept at what was known as the Beaver Dam: now Carmel. The house is still standing, 1915.

Dallas Ferry: At this point now, Port Norris John [Dallas?]kept tavern in a house that is still standing at the end of Main Street as now used. (Sheppard. p 645). Tradition says that it was a great place of resort for racing horses.

There was a tavern kept on what is now Irving Avenue: Bridgeton, probably about where York St. now is by John Keen 1754 to 1775, Sheppard, p 533.

A tavern was kept on the west side of Maurice River at Millville by Philip Souder, Jr: in 1793, and Benoni Dare in 1796. Sheppard p 633.

Silas Parvin: kept a tavern in Bridgeton in a two story hip roof house south of Commerce St and East of Atlantic St. 1737 as they are now. Sheppard p 582

Hall's Tavern: near the original court house 1756, 1758 burned along with the court house.

Potter's Tavern: site of tavern of Joseph Bishop 1753-1770, Matthew Potter, Jr.

Cotting's Tavern: 1740-43 near Parvin closer to river.

Tavern corner of Front and Main St Bridgeton, 1807: Deed Elmer, Sheff, to Geo Burgin, Book L p 64.

Franklin Tavern later Hillcrest Hotel: Corner of Front or Franklin St. Seth Bowen, Henry Hann.

Trenchard Tavern: south side of Vine between Atlantic and Fayette 1776, Matthew Potter, Residence of Ebenzer Elmer.

Smith's Tavern: northwest corner of Laurel and Jefferson 1748.

Jerico Tavern, Milkmaid Tavern: There was a famous tavern kept at Jerico, on the cumberland Side for many years. It was a great resort for sleighing and dancing parties. The house was still standing in 1915. In 1845, this was known as the Mildmaid inn and kept by Benj. Ballenger. See minutes Board of Freeholders for Nov. 25, 1845.

A Tavern kept at Carll's Corner: in the house in the easterly angle between the Centerton Road and the road to Vineland.

A Tavern was kept in the house on the Whitaker Farm: on the old Burlington Road where the "State Road" to Deerfield leaves the Burlington Road.

Sign of the Heart: Millville-Phila. Road a few miles eastward of Maul's Bridge (Almond Rd.) Started on Mill Road.


Three Bridges:
Greenwich Twp. where the lower road from Canton to Greenwich crosses the road from Head of Greenwich to Bacon's Neck.

Thundergust Branch of Muddy Run,
A stream entering Muddy Run from the south near the present head of Parvins' Mill pond. The stream had its source in Cumberland Co. There was a sawmill on this stream about 1780 said to have been built by a Finn (probably[possibly] a Swede) who came from Delaware with his wife and built a dam on an old beaver dam. The mill is said to have had an overshoot wheel.

Thurman's Branch
A Branch of Muskee creek 1800 Deed Brick to Beasley Book 2 p 83.

Tom's Bridge:
In Downe Twp over Dividing Creek on a branch thereof, on which Lore's Mill is built, on the road from Dragston to Millville.

Town Creek:
A branch of Cohansey Creek near Greenwich mentioned in will of Jonathan Walling, 1719. (23 NJ Arch 488)

Trunnel Branch:
Maurice River Twp. A branch of Muskee Creek on the north side entering the creek at the head of Jones Mill.

Tumbling Dam Park:
The site of the old amusement park situated at the southeast corner of Sunset Lake in Bridgeton.

Turkey Loper Hill:
The hill on Irving Ave. Bridgeton, between Laurel and Cohansey Sts. So called from squire Jonathan Loper who lived at the NW corner of Laurel St and Irving Ave. who was known as "Turkey" Loper. Before the railroad yards at the foot were built the hill was a great place for coasting.

Turkey Point:
The fast land running down between Dividing Creek and Oranokee Creek in Downe Twp. The name occurs as early as 1794 when a road was laid from there to Dividing Creek.

Tussica Run:
A branch of Buckshutem Creek 1791 Buckshutem Division (A of Deeds p 216).

Tweed River:
The River Tweed was the name given by the early settlers to what is now known as Back creek in Fairfield Twp apparently Back Creek was the original name given to the stream. Leaming and Spicer 2nd edition p 531 1694.



Up-Clearing Creek
A small tributary of Colirinsey creek, which flows westerly into it, from Hopewell t-ship,



 This city was established as a planned community by Philadelphia lawyer Charles K. Landis, who had founded Hammonton. He purchased the land from R.D. Wood of Millville in 1861. The city experienced rapid growth - in 1866 alone, 1200 buildings were erected. The first house, built in 1867, is preserved today by the Vineland Historical and Genealogical Society. The city was bisected by the Millville & Glassboro Railroad, which gave it access to Camdem and Philadelphia, and later to Cape May. In square miles, it is the largest incorporated city in New Jersey.
( The Daily Journal Special Commemorative Section - 7/1/98)



Ware Creek:
In Fairfield Township (now Downe Twp) southeast of Turkey Point on the west side, large pond or bay at the head of Ogden's Creek, east to Dividing Creek. Boats launched with cordwood from Berry town by means of a "corduroy road" into Elder Gut into Dividing creek sailing to Philadelphia.

Watering Branch:
A branch of West Creek River 1800 Deed Underwood to Peterson.

Well Road:
An old road on the Buck land in the Rosenhayn neighborhood, on land set off to the heirs of Mary Buck in 1844. Bk 74 of Deeds

Whelen's Landing:
Located on the south side of Cohansey Creek, probably below Greenwich. Release of Dower of Tamson Lawrence 1806.

The Whistling Boy:
The site of a beer house at the junction of Rocap Run and South Ave.White Hall Swamp:
In Maurice River Twp

White Oak Branch:
A branch of Manumuskin creek, the first above Cumberland Pond on the west side. Deed Sharp to Wood 1870 Bk 125 P 31.

Willow Grove -

Winchcomb Manor
Cumberland County. An old map (on sheepskin, not dated, in the collections of the Salem County Historical Society (SCHSU-88)) shows 'Winchcomb Manor to be what is now Tumbling Dam Park, Bridgeton, and surrounding vicinity - with a list of 54 property owners.

Winchcombe River: See North West Branch of Cohansey Creek

Woman Branch of Blackwater:
Mentioned in ad in Washington Whig July 18, 1819.

Wolf Swamp:
On the road from Eli Budd's Mills (at Cumberland) to Browning's Mill (Leaming's) Maurice River Twp. Deed Potter --- to Burgin ---

Woodruff's Mill:
A road from the Loder place to this mill is referred to in the division of the Buck Tract in 1844 - Bk 74 of Deeds.

Wynn's Pond:
Another small pond on Jackson's Run at the crossing of the Burlington Road.



Yap Shore -

Yock wock Landing:
Uriah Lore of Port Norris says that this was the early name for the landing at Port Norris -afterwards Dallas Ferry.




Frank Elmer of Fairton, 84 yrs of age, says that this was the name of the locality at the crossing of the road from Bridgeton to Buckshutem with that from Cedarville to Millville. He has a long --- about an effort made to locate the Court House here when it was removed from the middle of Broad St.



Ralph W. Emerson list Sept. 2, 1959 added to list.


Copyright 2002-2013 West Jersey History Project